Factors to Consider When Choosing a Language
Author: Benjamin Qi
Reasons why choice of language matters significantly outside of USACO Bronze.
- It is guaranteed to be able to receive full credit on all Bronze contests with Python, C++, and Java.
- It is almost always possible to receive full credit on Silver contests with Python, though there are exceptions.
- It is almost always possible to receive full credit on Silver, Gold, and Platinum contests with Java, though there are exceptions.
- Python lacks a data structure that keeps its keys in sorted order (the equivalent of
setin C++), which is required for some silver problems.
- Java lacks features such as
autothat are present in C++ (which some contestants rely on extensively, see "Shortening C++").
Although both Python and Java receive two times the C++ time limit in USACO, this is not the case for most other websites (ex. CodeForces, CSES). Even with the extended time limits, Python and Java sometimes have trouble passing.
Rewriting the C++ solution for USACO Silver Wormsort in Python receives TLE (Time Limit Exceeded) on 2/10 cases.
Python3 8/10 Solution
A similar solution in Java requires almost 3s, which is fairly close to the time limit of 4s.
A comparable C++ solution runs in less than 700ms.
It's possible to pass using DSU, although this is not a Silver topic.